The things you say to your children are taken to heart. It's important to choose your words wisely when speaking to your children. Whatever you say to them, they believe to be true. If you are always saying negative, derogatory things to them they will actually do them more. What you say to your child becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you tell your child they are no good, they will believe you and become that way. Don't be cruel or condescending. What parent's say to their children is more important to them than what any other person says to them. Be sure to always give them inspiration and build up their self-confidence. It is much easier to build someone's confidence when they are young. If a child grows up believing they are no good, they will take that into adulthood with them.If you truly want your child to succeed in life, choose your words wisely. Every child deserves to have high self-esteem.
Here are 50 things that parents are guilty of saying to their children that you mustn't ever say to them.
1. Why can't you be like your sister/brother, neighbor kids?
2. Don't act like an idiot.
3. Don't be so mean.
4. If you keep acting like that, you're never going to amount to anything.
5. Comb your hair you look like a rag muffin.
6. What will the neighbors think?
7. Don't speak unless you are spoken to.
8. Don't worry honey; you'll grow into your looks.
9. Your sister/brother can do this. Why can't you?
10. What makes you think you're capable of doing that?
11. If you can't do it right, just leave it alone.
12. Why do you have to be so inconsiderate?
13. Don't eat like a pig. Close your mouth.
14. Why do you keep doing that?
15. If your head wasn't attached to your neck it would fall off.
16. Oh just give it up. You can't do it anyway.
17. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
18. With friends like you, who needs enemies?
19. Why don't you just shut up?
20. Just keep your thoughts to yourself. No one cares what you think anyway.
21. Don't eat that. You're already looking chunky.
22. Stop acting so childish.
23. Sit down and shut up.
24. Why don't you act like a proper lady/gentleman?
25. What's wrong with you?
26. Do you ever stop and think before you open your mouth?
27. I give up on you.
28. Why do you keep doing the same stupid things over and over?
29. Go change your clothes right now. You look like a tramp.
30. If I wanted your opinion, I would give it to you.
31. If you're going to act like a baby, I will treat you like a baby.
32. You look so stupid when you do that.
33. Why don't you take better care of yourself? You always look like such a slob.
34. You are so annoying.
36. Why do you keep talking when nobody cares what you have to say?
37. Be quiet. I am on the phone.
38. You need to learn to pay attention.
39. Do as I say, not as I do.
40. Children are meant to be seen, not heard.
41. You look ugly when you do that.
42. If you keep making that face, it will stick like that.
43. I can't stand you.
44. I wish you would just get out of my life.
45. I wish you had never been born.
46. Don't you ever learn?
47. If you had any brains, you would stop acting so stupid.
48. Quit being so selfish.
49. Why don't you just learn to keep your mouth shut?
50. You're a mess.
As you can see by this list, if any of these things were said to you it would hurt feelings. So you can just imagine how much it hurts your child's feelings. The more your child hears negative hurtful comments from you, to lower their self-esteem becomes.
Read "50 Things to Say to Your Children and Yourself to Build Self-Esteem" and start building your child's self-esteem today!